Got a brilliant idea for a new business? Come to Clarkdale! We're Growing - without development impact fees! We have vacant buildings and land ready for you, a fun business climate, and friendly folks, too. Stop on by and check out the possibilities. We even have connections to small business counseling and loans. See you soon!
For Clarkdale's data, view Arizona Prospector for Clarkdale. Available sites are here, too
Clarkdale is a sustainable community of about 4,200 folks living in 10 square miles of beauty in the Verde Valley of north central Arizona. Bounded on the southwest by Jerome and Mingus Mountain, Cottonwood to the east, and Sedona and national forest to the north, the Town is bisected by the free-flowing and unspoilt Verde River. Within 90 minutes of Phoenix and 20 minutes of Sedona, Clarkdale features access to big city amenities nestled in some of the most beautiful country in America.
As the first planned community in Arizona, Clarkdale has a history of innovation and entrepreneurship which continues today. With an array of vacant commercial land and historic buildings plus an industrial area under development, there is an abundance of opportunities here. All utilities are available - broadband, gas, 3-phase power, water and wastewater although there is some variation in availability by parcel.
Do you care about our planet? Sustainable Clarkdale is an initiative guiding our interests. We seek companies and residents who embrace living in harmony with our existing resources. In fact, Clarkdale is 8th in the nation for the most zero net energy homes under development.
- Listing of All Property Tax Rates
- Listing of Transaction Privilege Taxes and Other Tax Info (PDF)
- Verde Valley Map (PDF)
Clarkdale Downtown Business Alliance
A volunteer organization - think free chamber of commerce, the CDBA is a volunteer group of businesses working to bring fun events and lots of visitors to Clarkdale's historic central business district. Business meetings take place on first Tuesdays monthly at Scott's Main Street Cafe in the bar. All businesses and volunteers are welcome.
Open for Business
The community welcomes development as guided by the following specific area plans for business expansion in the Town:
- State Route 89A Plan (PDF)
- Bitter Creek Industrial Area Plan (PDF)
- Central Business District Plan (PDF)
- Broadway Area Plan (PDF)
In addition, the Economic Development Plan with its Pillars of Business Development, Creative Clarkdale, Healthy Community, and Sustainable Clarkdale describe the approach our community takes to economic development.
Business Registration & Business License Benefits
An annual business license is required for anyone transacting business within Clarkdale per Town Code, Section 8-3. To register your business, complete the Business License Application (PDF) and email it to Community Development per the instructions on the form. In exchange for a paid business license, businesses may receive the following services on a first-come, first-served basis:
- Free promotion of special events, offers, and tourism-oriented business services on the ExperienceClarkdale.com website,
- Free promotion in the Roundabout Clarkdale feature of the Small Talk, a monthly newsletter accompanying utility bills and appearing on the Town's website;
- Free YouTube video support for grand openings and exciting business updates on the Experience Clarkdale YouTube channel;
- Free rack card display in the Community Development office; and
- Free participation in the Clarkdale Downtown Business Alliance.
Resources for Developing a Successful Business
Arizona Commerce Authority (ACA), Small Business Services
The ACA Checklist Program to Start, Operate and Grow a Business in Arizona is a free, interactive tool designed to guide start-up, growing, and out-of-state businesses to commonly requested licensing information. It also included contact information to statewide resources and assistance. View the Checklist Program Flyer (PDF).
Shop Local & Support Your Neighbors
Looking for particular goods or services? Shop with other Clarkdale businesses and keep the cash flowing in our community. For a list of registered businesses, contact Community Development.
Here's the Current Draft of the New ED Plan (PDF).
2013 Sustainable Community and Economic Development Plan
Adopted by Town Council in 2013, the Plan is currently under revision.
Economic Development Partners
Verde Valley Regional Economic Organization
- Supporting a regional revolving loan fund supporting entrepreneurs and second-stage businesses.
- Verde Valley Regional Economic Organization Website.
- Contact: Email Mary Chicoine, Executive Director,
Work Phone: 928-300-1640
Arizona Commerce Authority
- Supporting rural Arizona with various funding programs, statewide information and a deal-closing fund.
- Arizona Commerce Authority Website.
- Contact: Email Keith Watkins, Senior Vice President, Economic / Rural Development
Work Phone: 602-845-1278
Mobile Phone: 602-432-5045
Small Business Development Center at Yavapai College
- Providing business support in the Verde Valley.
- Small Business Development Center at Yavapai College Website.
- Contact: Email Ruth Ellen Elinski, Business Analyst,
Work Phone: 928-649-4580